Tiph's potato rosti - (with or without bacon)
Tiph's Potato Rosti
"This is an excellent way to use up old potatoes and makes a satisfying lunch or sharing plate for large meals. Great with a full English, or eaten with a fried or poached egg. Add a tsp mustard and some crispy bacon for another delicious layer of flavour. "
- Wash the potatoes and grate them (skin on) into a large mixing bowl. Finely slice the onion into half moons and add to the bowl along with a good pinch salt and pepper and 1 minced garlic clove. Add any additional flavours and mix well.
- Take the bowl to the sink and pull out a handful of the mixture at a time, and squeeze out as much water as you can. Once the bowl has been completed, re-season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Break an egg into the bowl and mix through.
- Heat up 1 tsp oil in a non-stick frying pan and pour in the mixture. Pat down so it is around 2-3 cm thick maximum. (I use an 18cm medium frying pan but a larger pan is fine). Cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn the Rosti by putting a plate snugly on top of it and turn over the frying pan so it comes out. Add another tsp oil to the pan and slide the Rosti back in to cook the other side. Allow 5-8 minutes more cooking.
- Enjoy hot or cold. Works great as a packed lunch!
Oh so tasty
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner