French Onion Soup with Melted Cheddar Croutons
French Onion Soup
"This full bodied soup has bags of flavour with layers of deep caramelised onion, beef, butter and thyme. The cheesy melted crouton tip this into the feed me now category. A must have soup for Winter."
- Finely chop the garlic and slice the onions into thin half moon strips. Take a pan and melt the butter over a medium heat before adding the onions, garlic, sugar, thyme, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook on a low heat and stir occasionally for 20 minutes to caramelise the onions.
- Add in 750 ml - 1 litre beef stock, (1 litre will need approx. 2 beef stock cubes) and stir well. Bring to the boil before dropping the temperature and simmering for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the melted croutons and ladle into bowls. Add a pinch of pepper and enjoy.
- MELTED CHEDDAR CROUTONS 2 slices crusty bread 75g grated cheddar cheese 1 pinch black pepper
- Take some crusty bread and toast each side. Layer with cheddar cheese and grill until melted, golden and bubbling. (You can use any bread and swap cheddar for goats cheese, parmesan, gruyere or comte).
Have you made this? Let us know how it went in the comments below.
Layers of comfort with a cheese crouton