Perfect Roast Potatoes for that special occasion
Extra Crispy Roast Potatoes
"Everyone seems to have a recipe for the perfect roast potato. Some use bucket loads of fat, others use specialty potatoes. My method uses any roasting potatoes and combines oil and butter in moderate quantities. The potatoes are cut a little smaller and are fluffed up to create more surface area for an extra crispy potato."
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius. Peel the potatoes and cut into 4-5 cm wedges. (Try not to make perfect cubes as shape variety will give crispier potatoes).
- Place in a large pan and cover with boiling salted water. Boil for 8-12 minutes or until a knife easily slips into the first 1 cm of potato. Drain very well and leave to rest on a plate (or in the colander) for 5 minutes to air dry.
- Very finely mince ½ a clove of garlic, add to the dry pot along with the rosemary, oil, butter and a good pinch salt. Add the potatoes and gently toss in the pot, (or if they are too fragile, lift and stir with a spoon), until the outer surface is fluffy and they are covered in the oil and butter.
- Pour onto a hot oven tray and arrange in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes before turning and then bake for 20-30 minutes more, or until crisp and golden.
- Generously season with salt and serve in an open bowl. Do not cover as they will steam and lose their magnificent crunch..
Sunday Roast, Christmas Lunch, and any other special occasion!