Mediterranean Stuffed Aubergine with Feta Cheese
Mediterranean Stuffed Aubergine
"This Mediterranean inspired aubergine is perfect for meat-free Mondays and really shows off plant based cooking. "
Cook Time: 35 mins | Servings: 2 | Difficulty: easy
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch salt and pepper
1 small red onion, finely cut into half moons
1 small white onion, finely cut into half moons
1 clove garlic, sliced
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
10 button mushrooms, halved
1 pepper (any colour), cut into 1 cm pieces
125g butternut squash, in 1 cm cubes
100g feta cheese
100g goat's cheese
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp oregano or thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (fan 180℃/gas mark 6).
- Cut the aubergine in half along the length and then score down the middle of the flesh, about 2cm deep. Add both halves to an oven tray, flesh-side down and season with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a good pinch salt and pepper. Slide into the oven.
- Meanwhile, add the red onion and garlic to a bowl along with the cherry tomatoes and the orange pepper pieces. Season with salt and pepper and another tablespoon of the olive oil. Lay around 30cm kitchen foil on your work surface and place the vegetables in the centre.
- Sprinkle the mixed herbs onto the chopping board and press the feta into the herbs to coat each side then place it on top of the vegetables. Fold and seal the foil to make an airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray. When the aubergine has been cooking for 10 minutes, add the feta parcel to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve the baked aubergine stuffed with the juicy vegetables.
pine nuts, fresh basil
make this on your next meat-free meal